2020 is finally gone. Keeping the pandemic aside , The year was quite fruitful for gamers. A host of titles were released this year from the long awaited cyberpunk 2077 to assassin’s creed valhalla and doom eternal the year was quite full of mesmerising titles . Today we look at the games who clinched the top spot for this year. Read on to find all about the game of year awards 2020.
Last of us 2 sweeps everyone
This year’s game awards was hosted by Geoff Keighley. Owing to the pandemic The Game Awards 2020 ceremony aired live in three studios in Los Angeles, London and Tokyo.
In a year when we all were forced to sit in our homes due to a pandemic, ironically, it was a game set in the scenery of hellish post-apocalyptic pandemic stricken world that won Game of the Year.
Though it was quite inevitable according to most game critics The Last of Us Part II, was easily the best game in the year. It won top the top spot at the event, as well as grabbed many of the major categories including wins for Best Game Direction, Best Narrative, Best Audio Design, Best Performance (for Laura Baily as Abby), Innovation in Accessibility, and Best Action/Adventure.
The game of the year award was presented by the famous Hollywood director Christopher nolan to Neil Druckmann, the creative director on The Last of Us Part II and co-president of game developer Naughty Dog Studios, which is the studio behind the game.
“Everyone at Naughty Dog, I can’t wait to hug and high five and get drunk with each and every one of you. That’s gonna have to wait until next year,” an elated Druckmann was quoted saying.
Other major winners included Square Enix’s Final Fantasy VII Remake, for the best score and sound and RPG, Among Us for the best mobile and multiplayer game and hades for the best indie game and action game.
The complete list of winners.
The Game Awards 2020 also featured some big reveals and exclusive looks, including Final Fantasy VII’s Sephiroth as the next Super Smash Bros Ultimate fighter, a teaser of the next Dragon Age, and a look at the latest of a new Among Us map.
The complete list of winners is here:
- Game of the Year: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Game Direction: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Narrative: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Art Direction: Ghost of Tsushima (Sucker Punch)
- Best Score and Music: Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Best Audio Design: The Last of Us Part 2
- Best Performance: Laura Bailey as Abby, The Last of Us Part II
- Games for Impact: Tell Me Why
- Best Ongoing: No Man’s Sky
- Best Indie: Hades
- Best Mobile: Among Us (InnerSloth)
- Best Community Support: Fall Guys: Ultimate Knockout
- Innovation in Accessibility: The Last of Us Part II
- Best VR/AR: Half-Life: Alyx
- Best Action: Hades
- Best Action/Adventure: The Last of Us Part II
- Best Role Playing: Final Fantasy VII Remake (Square Enix)
- Best Fighting: Mortal Kombat 11/Ultimate
- Best Family: Animal Crossings: New Horizon (Nintendo)
- Best Sim/Strategy: Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Best Sports/Racing: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 (Vicarious Visions/Activision)
- Best Multiplayer: Among Us (InnerSloth)
- Best Debut Game: Phasmophobia
- Content Creator of the Year: Valkyrae
Read more: Did Doom eternal win any awards?
Read more: Fortnite’s New year 2021 event is live!